4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Hello ae86 sr5

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
mintimiki

Hello ae86 sr5 Empty
PostSubject: Hello ae86 sr5   Hello ae86 sr5 EmptySat Sep 08, 2012 11:50 pm

Hiya names mikey, just picked up a 87 corolla sr5 and its givving me a headache.
Back to top Go down
suprastarr

suprastarr

Car : 85 corolla

Hello ae86 sr5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello ae86 sr5   Hello ae86 sr5 EmptySun Sep 09, 2012 2:54 am

what's wrong with rhe car?
Back to top Go down
http://tristateimports.freeforums.org
mintimiki

Hello ae86 sr5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello ae86 sr5   Hello ae86 sr5 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 2:13 am

zero compression on cylinders 2 and 3
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

Car : 93 BMW 318is

Hello ae86 sr5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello ae86 sr5   Hello ae86 sr5 EmptyThu Sep 13, 2012 7:33 am

Probably the head gasket, they tend to disappoint. Make sure you have the head resurfaced.
Back to top Go down
mintimiki

Hello ae86 sr5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello ae86 sr5   Hello ae86 sr5 EmptySat Sep 15, 2012 2:17 am

Im going to tear it apart this weekend.
Back to top Go down
mintimiki

Hello ae86 sr5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello ae86 sr5   Hello ae86 sr5 EmptyTue Oct 23, 2012 11:13 pm

Fixed 1st problem now a new one has come up. During a cold start car boggs a lot and after warmed up and drives car stutters unless gas pedal is depressed alot.

Any help would be appreciated.
Back to top Go down
PAguy

PAguy

Car : 1984 SR5 RWD 5 speed

Hello ae86 sr5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello ae86 sr5   Hello ae86 sr5 EmptyFri Oct 26, 2012 4:42 pm

With this car, you'll want to replace all the vacuum lines unless they look brand new. It's cheap, easy, and even if it's not THE problem, it will eliminate the most common cause of problems.

Sounds like your immediate problem is carburetor related. Could be a number of things, but here's my guess.
When you say, "unless gas pedal is depressed alot" - you're living off your accelerator pump instead of the fuel nozzles. I recommend that you clear your carb jets by removing them and making sure they are free of any build up or particles. Often, guys go postal with Gumout and wash trash into the fuel bowl. With any luck, it plugs up the jets (little flow restricting orifices) instead of getting past them and plugging up the non-removables. There are two ports underneath the fuel window that will let you remove the jets without breaking open the carby. If you are really lucky, the vac lines and jets may get you running. In all honesty, if the car has been sitting for a while, you'll probably need a deeper work.

If you choose to keep the Aisan carb, expect to buy a rebuild kit. They're about 30 bucks from Autozone and do not include a new float. Be advised that rebuilding it is not like rebuilding a holley. I don't recommend just yanking it and turning it into a pile of clean parts. It's really tricky to get back together right. Take a lot of pictures from all the angles and label the parts.

A lot of people on this forum will tell you to eliminate and plug all the vacuum lines. I don't recommend that. There are only 3 or 4 lines out of a dozen that can cause trouble and some are very beneficial (like the AC boost and the distributor advance).

Others will recommend trashing your stock carburetor entirely and putting an aftermarket one on. I am in the keep it stock camp. But either way you can get a lot of support from this site.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Hello ae86 sr5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Hello ae86 sr5   Hello ae86 sr5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Hello ae86 sr5
Page 1 of 1