4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New to 4AC and am looking for info

Go down 
+2
suprastarr
Tig
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Tig

New to 4AC and am looking for info Empty
PostSubject: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 1:22 pm

Hi All,
Been a fan of AE Corollas for a while and have a chance to get one. Its an 87 SR5 w/4AC. It has an OBXR exhaust and unfortunately cut springs otherwise it is all original, which I am pleased with, unmolested cars especially ones known for modifying are really hard to come by.

Is there anything I should look for before dropping the dime?

I'm just looking for places where you guys get your parts. Resto parts as well as suspension and performance parts.

Any info would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks

Back to top Go down
suprastarr

suprastarr

Car : 85 corolla

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 8:40 pm

well first off welcome to the forums! ebay isnt a bad place to start.
Back to top Go down
http://tristateimports.freeforums.org
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

Car : 93 BMW 318is

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptySun Jul 01, 2012 9:34 pm

Set goals first. The AE86 chassis has a big aftermarket and it can be easy to throw a ton of parts at the car, that you might eventually take off and sell for a loss because you don't really want or need them.

A perfect example: you need new rear brakes for am SR5. If you are planning on eventually swapping a bigger rear end, then stock replacement parts will be fine to get the car on the road. Or if you're planning to keep your rear axle as-is, then it would be prudent to invest in a more thorough rebuild and/or upgrading depending on what you want.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 9:47 am

Thanks for the welcome suprastar, I appreciate it. Have been trolling the bay for a few days. Found some stuff, decent prices.

Thanks for the advise Eric, as of now. The SR5 is a daily driver, up and running. Thats a bonus, no work just simple tune up and maybe some gaskets and bushings.
As for the rear, I will eventually replace with a larger rear with discs. OE replacement parts for now is just fine.

For now, I've been grabbing some import mags with AEs featured, just to get an idea.
The rest is up to the seller, hoping he makes his mind up on this deal. Its not too often you find an unmolested SR5 lying around.
I cant really set my goals until I actually have the car, hah. I would like it to handle well.

Thanks again, I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 10:36 am

Ah well for handling, whatever you do in interchangable with a GTS rear end. So if you do get the car and eventually a GTS rear end, your springs and shocks will keep on keeping on.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 8:34 pm

Good to know, thanks for sharing.

Unfortunately, this deal is not going to happen.

I found another one, has a 7M swap no rear brakes broken strut and needs works. Plus, not sure if it will pass inspection being a swapped car.

Back to square one. Man, this sucks.
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyWed Jul 04, 2012 8:42 pm

U would check everything from bumper to bumper. A 7MGE is not a common swap and easily hacked up. What state are you in?
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:20 am

Thats exactly what I was thinking after talking with the owner. He wasnt very sure about the swap, most likely because he didnt do it. From our conversation, the previous owner did all the work to it, not the new seller ie; swap and rebuild. He was trying to come off as he did the work ie; rebuild. 7Ms are great motors and it must be a little rocket but it seems though it was more or less put together with legos.

I'm in NC
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 9:23 am

I have a random question.

How come I am not able to get on this forum without going through my email?

I type in 4ac-powered.com and it brings me to some time warner search site, it wont let me post a link being a new member.

Any clues why?
Thanks
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 10:22 am

The website is 4AC-powered.forumotion.com You gotta have the forumotion in there. I just bookmarks it lol. What part of NC?
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 7:44 pm

Ohhh, just noticed that, hah.

Raleigh, NC

I wish I could find someone to buy my ride so I can get into AE, IF I can find one, hah.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 5:21 pm

Hi all I'm back cheers
I may have found an AE86. Its in rough shape with a spun rod but, it is a complete car. A good starting point.
Just thought I'd share Very Happy
Back to top Go down
driftingturtle

driftingturtle

Car : 1986 Toyotta Corolla SR5 Coupe

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 6:06 pm

Welcome back Tig!

ALSO

I almost bought the 86 you're talking about..possibly. Does it have a japanese blossom engine bay? Black? Somewhat gutted?
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptySun Oct 07, 2012 6:46 pm

Thanks man, I appreciate it.

I dont think its the same. Its a full interior car and it looks to be a lighter color.
He's going to send me better pics when it stops raining, the only pic I have seen is at night with some high beams shining on it.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyMon Oct 08, 2012 8:09 pm

Well, looks like I'll be bringing it home Thursday Very Happy
Back to top Go down
driftingturtle

driftingturtle

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 8:11 am

SCORE! Glad you found one! Razz post some pics when you can if it's not that one then it might be one I've seen. Only handful if that of hatchbacks here in NC.
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 9:28 am

Pics pics! Blowed engine? What's going in?
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyTue Oct 09, 2012 3:28 pm

Well, it might happen Mad . He decided to start pulling the motor and tearing it apart for the junkyard. The motor is no longer running and I will need a trailer, which I have no access to one right now. His plans are for Friday junkyard run, my plans were to pick it up Thursday. I'm not sure I am going to be able to pull it off.
Its a coupe to Crying or Very sad

I may offer him some cash for the motor and some parts. We'll see what he says.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 8:44 pm

A little update.
I wasnt able to find a trailer, honestly I didnt really look. Its about an hour and a half away and I wasnt really sure I wanted to take more than 3 hours out of my day to do this. Especially at night in an unfamiliar place towing a car.

Now, what blew my mind. He offered to tow it to my house, granted for a fee. I was more than shocked by this offer.

Not sure I can turn this one down, regardless of condition.

What are your thoughts?

Back to top Go down
driftingturtle

driftingturtle

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyThu Oct 11, 2012 9:46 pm

Tig wrote:
A little update.
I wasnt able to find a trailer, honestly I didnt really look. Its about an hour and a half away and I wasnt really sure I wanted to take more than 3 hours out of my day to do this. Especially at night in an unfamiliar place towing a car.

Now, what blew my mind. He offered to tow it to my house, granted for a fee. I was more than shocked by this offer.

Not sure I can turn this one down, regardless of condition.

What are your thoughts?

When does he want to do this?? Maybe we can meet and if he's nuts we kick his ass. Problem solved.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 3:23 pm

Well, I'm trying to break him on the cost for him to bring it. He's asking $175 to ship it to my house. On top of the $350 for the car. Still not bad but , since he tore the motor out I'm still up in the air and waiting for pictures.

I'll probably do it but wait until next weekend.
Back to top Go down
driftingturtle

driftingturtle

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptyFri Oct 12, 2012 7:38 pm

Tig wrote:
Well, I'm trying to break him on the cost for him to bring it. He's asking $175 to ship it to my house. On top of the $350 for the car. Still not bad but , since he tore the motor out I'm still up in the air and waiting for pictures.

I'll probably do it but wait until next weekend.
Gotcha doesn't seem like that bad of a deal, just sucks that he started on the process of it all. Hopefully straighten this out and all. What CL ad is it???
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 10:23 am

It isnt a bad deal at all. I wish he had listed that he tore it down in his add. But, for it to be delivered, I think I'm going to grab it. Maybe offer him $500.
Trying to get pics out of him is like catching a fly in your finger tips, hah.

I went under Raleigh CL and typed in ae86. Theres another one in there for $8k, damn nice.
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 10:42 am

Without pics it's hard to make an offer. Still delivery is nice, and worth it.
Back to top Go down
driftingturtle

driftingturtle

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info EmptySat Oct 13, 2012 11:52 am

Tig wrote:
It isnt a bad deal at all. I wish he had listed that he tore it down in his add. But, for it to be delivered, I think I'm going to grab it. Maybe offer him $500.
Trying to get pics out of him is like catching a fly in your finger tips, hah.

I went under Raleigh CL and typed in ae86. Theres another one in there for $8k, damn nice.

Niiiiiiice

haha yeah I noticed that one before it's great looking. Is the one you're looking to get the one for $900 on Craigslist? I hate when people attempt to sell things and don't have pictures etc. LMK what goes down maybe he will send me pics if I say I will pay more for what he has for pics Laughing
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info Empty

Back to top Go down

New to 4AC and am looking for info
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next