4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
PAguy

PAguy

Car : 1984 SR5 RWD 5 speed

Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5 Empty
PostSubject: Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5   Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5 EmptySun Sep 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Finished up my latest 1800 miles in the '84 SR5 - home to Atlanta to Nashville and back east of Pittsburgh. Turned 275K yesterday around Cinci.
I've run 10-30 synthetic with half a bottle of Lucas for a long time. My oil consumption was up around a quart every 1200 miles or so.
I didn't want to risk running dry on the 700 mile legs, so I put in 20-50W conventional with a full dose of Lucas. WOW, what a difference.
I used less than a pint on the whole 1800 miles, all 4 plugs dried up nice with a light grey dusting. And the oil pressure indicator, which has always run at the midway notch, now runs at the 3/4 notch. But I lost a couple of mpg's - surprising I got that much extra friction. I'll still do my valve stem seals some day and go back to synthetic. But for the time being, I can live with 35 on the highway, 30 in the country and no worries about adding all the time.
Back to top Go down
suprastarr

suprastarr

Car : 85 corolla

PostSubject: Re: Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5   Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 4:51 am

I was told that synthetic oil was not good for older cars to run. I was told it deteriorates the oil seals
Back to top Go down
http://tristateimports.freeforums.org
BlackStar

BlackStar

PostSubject: Re: Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5   Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5 EmptyMon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm

suprastarr wrote:
I was told that synthetic oil was not good for older cars to run. I was told it deteriorates the oil seals

interesting. On my car i just fully rebuilt the engine, and always figured carbs and synthetic oil just don't mix. But if it is the old seals that don't like synthetic, i may switch. However, my new transmission seals did leak out the synthetic fluid i put in the transmission.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5   Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5
Page 1 of 1