HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
PAguy

Car : 1984 SR5 RWD 5 speed

PostSubject: Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5   Sun Sep 02, 2012 8:23 pm

Finished up my latest 1800 miles in the '84 SR5 - home to Atlanta to Nashville and back east of Pittsburgh. Turned 275K yesterday around Cinci.
I've run 10-30 synthetic with half a bottle of Lucas for a long time. My oil consumption was up around a quart every 1200 miles or so.
I didn't want to risk running dry on the 700 mile legs, so I put in 20-50W conventional with a full dose of Lucas. WOW, what a difference.
I used less than a pint on the whole 1800 miles, all 4 plugs dried up nice with a light grey dusting. And the oil pressure indicator, which has always run at the midway notch, now runs at the 3/4 notch. But I lost a couple of mpg's - surprising I got that much extra friction. I'll still do my valve stem seals some day and go back to synthetic. But for the time being, I can live with 35 on the highway, 30 in the country and no worries about adding all the time.
Back to top Go down
suprastarr

Car : 85 corolla

PostSubject: Re: Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5   Mon Sep 03, 2012 4:51 am

I was told that synthetic oil was not good for older cars to run. I was told it deteriorates the oil seals
Back to top Go down
http://tristateimports.freeforums.org
BlackStar

PostSubject: Re: Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5   Mon Sep 03, 2012 1:39 pm

suprastarr wrote:
I was told that synthetic oil was not good for older cars to run. I was told it deteriorates the oil seals

interesting. On my car i just fully rebuilt the engine, and always figured carbs and synthetic oil just don't mix. But if it is the old seals that don't like synthetic, i may switch. However, my new transmission seals did leak out the synthetic fluid i put in the transmission.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5   

Back to top Go down

Oil Consumption Info in my '84 SR5
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1