4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

what are you running for exhaust?

Go down 
+22
DjSpecter
jinsoku
4AChammer
lonemeno
thepaul
that1hatchi
Dominican365
steamjam
und-R-steer
adymoto
EvolutionGTS
inagawa
serchmarc
redpearl
driftcorp86
4ac_ftw
AE82
inertia
dilutedspine
87AE-82
NP75
slimer
26 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
slimer

slimer

what are you running for exhaust? Empty
PostSubject: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyMon Jul 06, 2009 8:10 pm

post what size piping and what muffler you're using and if you have a cat or not how it's routed and if you think it sounds good, and a pic would be great too. trying to get some ideas on how to fab up my exhaust system. scratch
Back to top Go down
NP75
Admin

Car : AE86

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 9:56 am

I am using 2.25" tubing, but you might consider 2" as well depending on your horsepower goals. I am running a Dynomax muffler, it's not quiet but it probably won't cause any hearing damage like the other mufflers I tried (Car Chemistry,Magnaflow straight through, a Kragen special, and may be one other). I think that it may need a second muffler earlier in the system. I am running a Car Sound cat. I would get a header before starting the exhaust, the header that I have did not allow me to follow the stock exhaust as it ended after the point where the stock exhaust swaps over to the other side of the engine. I don't know if any of the other header makers do that though, and you probably won't be getting the same kind of header as they are out of production. I swapped sides after the transmission and then followed the stock routing the rest of the way back.
Back to top Go down
https://4ac-powered.forumotion.com
87AE-82

87AE-82

Car : 1987 Corolla FWD

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyTue Jul 07, 2009 5:58 pm

I have a magnaflow duel outlet muffler with the stock exaust sounds good but not very loud.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/fredtflail
dilutedspine

dilutedspine

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyFri Jul 10, 2009 5:30 pm

Factory pipe all the way to about 2 feet before muffler then some random generic muffler welded in with some what appears to be 1.5 in pipe. Also my cat has the bottom cut out, insides knocked out and the bottom welded back on.
Back to top Go down
inertia

inertia

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyThu Jul 16, 2009 12:16 pm

stock exhaust until the 5zigen muffler i pick up at pick n pull but planing to swap cuz i now it has a hole in it. thinking i go some thing kinda stockish not a canister tinking of something like 2 1/4 cherry bomb turbo muffler there cheap and sound alright
Back to top Go down
AE82

AE82

Car : 1984 AE82 Sedan-Sold 1996 Acura Integra RS daily driven

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 9:26 pm

All stock here too. I wanna get a new pipe though in 2inches dia. From the front to rear. It should make things flow better

I think my flex pipe is junk though to
Back to top Go down
4ac_ftw

4ac_ftw

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptySat Jul 18, 2009 10:00 pm

2.25 from header back to a magnaflow muffler. deep tone at idle and mid range rpm. a little load up high. soon the change to an under diff exhaust.
Back to top Go down
driftcorp86

driftcorp86

Car : 1983 toyota sprinter ( ae86 )

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyMon Sep 07, 2009 8:54 pm

stock dumped at diff, would like to get a 2 1/2 strait through with cannon muffler would sound mint
Back to top Go down
redpearl

redpearl

Car : 1987 corolla sr5 hatchback

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyWed Sep 30, 2009 8:10 pm

I like to run stock or something close to stock sounding, I hate highway driving with a loud muffler.
Back to top Go down
serchmarc

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyThu Oct 01, 2009 12:54 am

slimer wrote:
post what size piping and what muffler you're using and if you have a cat or not how it's routed and if you think it sounds good, and a pic would be great too. trying to get some ideas on how to fab up my exhaust system. scratch

what size piping?
i dont know lol! is the stock one

muffler?
the standar one ,not loud at all

cat ?
nooo Embarassed was removed for the last owner i think

before my CRASH ,the car had
a good ex syst for me but
i hate the sound of the bimetalic or hydro fan,cuase THE LAST owner (grrrr)
engaged the fan forever,so my car soundedlike a LADNCRUISER
horrible sound

im thinking in a new system if i have the time
ill do it

but 1st the crash lol!
Back to top Go down
AE82

AE82

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 10:42 pm

Hey NP75 I've noticed you used a Magnaflow straight thru muffler how did it sound?

I have a Magnaflow muffler that I got not to long ago and I'm going to have a whole new pipping done and the muffler installed. How did you like it? Loud? Deep? This muffler is HHUUGGEEEE I'm going to look like a fucking ricer cruising down the raod! The tip looks like it belings on a Skyline in other words.....

Give me the heads up. I want something deep and loud at high rpms but not overkill.

Lmk
Back to top Go down
NP75
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 11:44 pm

The Magnaflow one that I got was a round cherry bomb style thing, ~18" long I think. It was a straight thru type. It was very deep. I would set off car alarms while driving slowly through parking lots. It was also kind of loud generally as well. The sound was OK it was just too noisy.
Back to top Go down
AE82

AE82

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyMon Nov 23, 2009 11:54 pm

Ok so deep at low RPM but its loud at Mid and noisy at higher RPM...

noisy meaning annoying..?

I don't think I'm going to have anough back pressure. I'm getting a new cat while I'm at the muffler shop...you think ill have anough back pressure with a new cat?
Back to top Go down
inagawa

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 7:57 am

the exhaust that i'm trying to run is a 2.5 inch pipe with a high flow cat with a knocc off carbon HKS muffler.... i know the low end is going to drop but with the modification i'm doing it shouldn't really affect performance after that.
Back to top Go down
AE82

AE82

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 12:18 pm

Yeah I would say with headers, cams, aftermarket carb you'll want a 2.25 or 2.5 diameter.

I was going to go with a 2.5 but I wasn't going to get headers I changed my mind and I'm going with 2inch pipping all the way back.

But the thing is my muffler is pretty big for a 1.6litre and its straight thru disign not sure if I should put it on.
Back to top Go down
NP75
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 3:33 pm

2.25" works fine in my car, but I would not go to 2.5 unless you go forced induction.
Back to top Go down
inagawa

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 3:40 pm

i personallly think 3 inch is for forced inductiuon, and 2.5 is the biggest you could get with it be NA'd. but i know it wouldn't make sense with that big of exhaust on a completly stock engine.
Back to top Go down
AE82

AE82

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 3:45 pm

Does anyone know what's the stock diameter? I have a 4ALC
Back to top Go down
inagawa

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyThu Nov 26, 2009 3:49 pm

isn't it like 1.5?...
Back to top Go down
NP75
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 7:39 pm

Quote :
i personallly think 3 inch is for forced inductiuon, and 2.5 is the biggest you could get with it be NA'd

What are you basing these statement on?

Exhaust sizing link:

http://www.magnaflow.com/wideopen/performdata.asp

On the 2.5 inch size it's seems like they want to see 150plus horsepower before to going to that sort of size. I have yet to see anyone claim that sort of power NA (and nitrous does not count). I also have a book that recomends that recomends 180 HP before going to to 2.5". There are lots of these charts and guides and none of them would recomend a 2.5" exhaust for any N/A 4AC that I have seen

Now it maybe true that on a turbo / supercharger engine that you can't make the exhaust too big. But there is a thing called diminishing returns. Going from a 2.5" exhaust to a 3" exhaust may not hurt, but it may not help much. Here is a article on going from a 2.25" exhaust to a 3" exhaust on a 1990 Acura Integra with a turbo kit.

http://www.turbomagazine.com/tech/0108tur_thermal_research_3_inch_exhaust/index.html

This vehicle starts out life with a 1.8 liter engine that makes 130HP stock at the flywheel, which is much better than a stock 4AC (~80% more power). It runs approximately 190HP peak according to the dyno. They don't seem to say, but I assume that this was done on a chassis dyno, so you would expect that would translate to something around 225HP at the flywheel. So the end result is that they made a grand total of 4-5 extra horsepower in spots for upsizing the exhaust. Thats a staggering 2.6% improvement. I think that you would be doing to pretty damn good to get a 4AC to 225HP, and it is highly unlikely that you would get it on the 7PSI of boost they were using. I think most people with a streetable turbo 4AC would be below 200 HP at the flywheel, and would see even less benefit than this.

There would be some down sides to going with the larger pipe. It will weigh more and be harder to package under the car.
Back to top Go down
87AE-82

87AE-82

Car : 1987 Corolla FWD

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 8:55 pm

I agree with np75 2.25" is fine. also ae82 if you want that will work well on a 4ac I'd get a 40 series flow master or smaller 30 series maybe it will amke quite a racket but there cheap easy to find and there well built or maybe some other brand that make that type of muffler. I think the 18" muffler is too long, espically since its straight through like a glass pack, My magnaflow is only 14"s long and its a differnt type of muffler. I noticed a power change right away in the higer rpms 3.5k to 5.5k (as high as I rev mine.) but before 3.5k It wasent any differnt that I could tell and this is with a stock motor, stock diameter pipeing.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/fredtflail
inagawa

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 9:22 pm

i'm stuck on that fact still...

none of those books acourse are not going to tell you that a stock 50hp car would benifit from a large pipe like 2.5..i know it wont.

-but i'm not just talking about a stock 4ac either...for a stock one i'd say full 2 inche aftermarket pipe..

-for a cammed, highflow cat, headers, single weber carb, ( pretty much mild modifications..), it would go for 2 1/4 inch pipe

-for a full rebuild, cammed and geared, port and polished, honed and and angled, itb'b, headers, hi flow cat (highend modifications), it would go for 2 1/2inch pipe

-now for the same high end modifications plus turbocharged, it would be 3 inches pipe or more...

call me close minded on this but that's my thoughts on it.
Back to top Go down
AE82

AE82

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptyFri Nov 27, 2009 9:24 pm

IMO I think 2.25" is the limit on a stock 4AC.

I'm going with a 2inch daimeter and making a custom baffle for my magnaflow stright thru muffler. This little engine needs back pressure for a nice launch off the line. This is my thought though. No one has to agree with me.
Back to top Go down
NP75
Admin

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 1:09 am

inagawa wrote:
i'm stuck on that fact still...

none of those books acourse are not going to tell you that a stock 50hp car would benifit from a large pipe like 2.5..i know it wont.

-but i'm not just talking about a stock 4ac either...for a stock one i'd say full 2 inche aftermarket pipe..

-for a cammed, highflow cat, headers, single weber carb, ( pretty much mild modifications..), it would go for 2 1/4 inch pipe

-for a full rebuild, cammed and geared, port and polished, honed and and angled, itb'b, headers, hi flow cat (highend modifications), it would go for 2 1/2inch pipe

-now for the same high end modifications plus turbocharged, it would be 3 inches pipe or more...

call me close minded on this but that's my thoughts on it.

Your entitled to what ever opinions you want to hold, and obviously you can do what ever ill-advised mods you want to your own car. I just don't want the next person to come along and think that it's sensible or necessary to use these exhaust sizes your putting out. At the very fringe of what might be possible with a 4AC there might be some sense in using these sizes. It's certainly not necessary to run an exhaust pipe size suitable for a modified Mitsubishi EVO in a turbo 4AC with normal street boost levels.
Back to top Go down
inagawa

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? EmptySat Nov 28, 2009 4:58 am

let me ask you a question.... your running a 2.5 inch pipe right? exactly how much modifications and power are you getting out of the 4ac?
this is not a arguementive question, you don't have to answer i'm just curious....

and sorry but what does IMO and BTW mean?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what are you running for exhaust?   what are you running for exhaust? Empty

Back to top Go down

what are you running for exhaust?
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next