4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82

Go down 
+9
jay
moonerdizzle
84hachi
NIXmx
driftjutsu
steamjam
red rolla
JohnAE82
EvolutionGTS
13 posters
AuthorMessage
EvolutionGTS

EvolutionGTS

Car : 1986 AE82

Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 Empty
PostSubject: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 12:25 am

Whenever I drive a newer car, it just isn't as fun to drive as the corolla. For example, my sister's honda accord v6 coupe. Sure its way faster than the old corolla I have but something doesn't feel right. It just isn't as fun, maybe its the fact that theres all these digital readouts on the dash, or the fact that is all computerized. But its just.. not as enjoyable as the corolla. Which is much more simpler by design, and feels very mechanical and REAL. Just wondering if anyone feels the same way.
Back to top Go down
http://ae82sedan.blogspot.com/
JohnAE82

JohnAE82

Car : 1985 AE-82 sedan

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 12:50 am

I feel the same way. I thank it’s because that for most people today, driving is just a chore. So more car companies try to make cars feel more “home like” with creature comforts galore, which totally destroys the driving experience. Also, for me, when I get into my AE82, it feels like a time machine. Even if its only 25 years old, it still seems classical, and is one of the most fun cars I’ve ever drove.
Back to top Go down
red rolla

red rolla

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptySun Dec 06, 2009 9:31 pm

I agree. I like the simpleness of the corolla. I even like the road noise and such. I have a newer car but I prefer to drive the corolla.
Back to top Go down
steamjam

steamjam

Car : 1980 Corolla, and a bunch of 4AC parts..

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptySat Feb 06, 2010 1:02 pm

I've grown so accustomed to all the quirky road noises my TE72 makes I always feel alittle uneasy when I'm in a modern car like a Lexus.
Back to top Go down
driftjutsu

driftjutsu

Car : 86 sr5,97 240sx

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 2:42 am

a perfect example is the gtr
ive gotten the most privledged experience to drive a r32 afew years back
and recently a r35 now aside from the wack ass paddle shift, dont get me wrong im all for technical advancement, but not at the cost af driver feed back and thats what i think newer cars take away
from real drivers (and by real drivers im not talking about your eg driving cousin or your mustang toting
douchebag co-worker)im talking about people who appreciate all cars and all types of driver feedback.
and a bigger issue is that car companies arent paying attention to that concept. in making cars safer
theyve taken feedback away. but thats also a testament to the way our society is, which is just people
want to concentrate on what matters most
dacing with the stars
and fast food
YOU SUCK TYPICAL AMERICAN CAR CONSUMER Mad

there is hope though
in the form of us even dicussing these issues
but enough ranting Razz
i love my beat up sr5 Very Happy
Back to top Go down
NIXmx

NIXmx

Car : Too many Toyotas

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 3:00 am

As I tell all my friends, I'd rather drive my wagon than me GS. Yes it's a nice ass GS400 with every option possible. Yes it has a 4L V8 and a bit over 300 hp. Yes it a dam Lexus, but it's not the same as my slow ass, carbed, 1983 Toyota Corolla station wagon! I recently did some work on a friend's SR5 and it made me sad. I haven't driven my wagon in over 14 months! I really think it has to so with the weight and lack of power this and that. It's more of a drivers car to say. Like driftjutsu said, it has feedback.

Don't get me wrong, I love my GS. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Toyonerds
84hachi

84hachi

Car : 1984 Toyota Corolla Sport SR5 (AE86)

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 3:09 am

Besides my hachi. I also own a rather heavily modified 2001 Impala LS. Ive driven the rolla more in the past two years then my Imp. It will always be like that. Ever since modding my carbed 4AC. I'm addicted to the sound of the carb at WOT. Plus I've always rooted for the underdog anyway. Not to mention the hachi is kinda a street legal go kart.

Technology is great and useful tool. But its taking all the fun out of driving. It's more of a fun driving experience when you have full control of the car you are driving. I hate drive by wire. Electric steering. Electric this electric that. Soon cars will be set a speed you will never be able to go past If you do the car it self will slow you down.

All of us know the more complicated a car gets, the bigger a bitch it is to work on. But the designers don't care. Cause? "We do not have to fix them" I'll save that rant for another time Cool
Back to top Go down
NIXmx

NIXmx

Car : Too many Toyotas

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 3:38 am

84hachi wrote:
All of us know the more complicated a car gets, the bigger a bitch it is to work on. But the designers don't care. Cause? "We do not have to fix them" I'll save that rant for another time Cool

As a technician, I'm right there with you. Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
https://www.facebook.com/Toyonerds
moonerdizzle

moonerdizzle

Car : 84 corolla sr5

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 9:33 am

i love driving my rolla, to me it feel natural and an extencion of my body while driving her. i live the lack of power steering and getting hit with the occational rock shot out of my rear fenders.
Back to top Go down
jay

jay

Car : 1983 ae72*RIP*/86"sr5

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 12:14 pm

yea man i can drive my wifes accord all day long .. and o.k. it was a day of running errands . now do that in my wagon ... and every where i stop .. theres some one pointing of asking some type of question to mention there just so dam fun to drive ... the way they handle ........ not every car feels the same.. i must agree i love my rolls.... Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

Car : 1984 Toyota Corolla Sport, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1968 F250

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptyFri Apr 23, 2010 12:22 pm

I must say that I daily drive a 240, but I think I have the most fun driving the corolla. It is more mechanical and I guess makes me feel more like I am in control of everything. And like someone else already mentioned, can't beat a street legal go-kart Very Happy
Back to top Go down
http://www.redlinedaily.com
Lawnie420

Lawnie420

Car : 1984 ae86 zenki sr5 coupe 4ac

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptyTue Jul 27, 2010 3:26 pm

I love my ae86 the car is a blast to drive i dislike all these newer car all those damn computors imo they need to do away with them and put us drivers back in control put the fun back into driving and make it less of a chore to drive and as previously said its nice to be able to drive a street legal go kart
Back to top Go down
Http://juggaloclownz.the-up.com
NotanAE86

Car : 83 2 door sedan

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptyWed Jul 28, 2010 2:21 am

I haven't driven an AE86 in a while but there is just something about driving J-tin that is exciting. whether it be the sound of the 8v hitting 6K rpm on the freeway and hitting the throttle making it want more. or the people at the gas station asking a ton of questions while you get your 10 gallons of gas. but the feedback of the old cars is something I have always loved. of course all 3 of my vehicles are j-tin with non- power steering, 86 nissan hardbody and an 87 suzuki samurai to go along with the 83 corolla.

there is something to be said about driving a car that doesn't have all the "IDIOT" features. (SRS,ABS,TCS) I drive different cars all day long being a technician and well not one can match the feeling I get driving my old school j-tin it's all the feedback and sounds you get from those old cars that is just irreplaceable.
Back to top Go down
Ric

Ric

Car : 12 Jeep GC 4x4 Hemi, 94 Miata

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 EmptySun Aug 22, 2010 10:47 pm

I race a 93 Nissan 240sx with an SR20det... with most of the necessary mods. I'm new and I'll make a proper introduction thread.
Racing a car with about a 10:1 HP/WT ratio with 140 treadware street tires in autocross and time attack really takes all of my concentration trying to keep it in boost and timing the brakes. When I race a weaker HP car like a stock Miata or AE86 I can really just enjoy racing.

There is so much joy in having more talent than car. My joy with AE86 Corolla's are the lightness of them. They are so responsive just because they dont weigh 3000 lbs.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82   Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82 Empty

Back to top Go down

Does anybody else feel the same way about the AE86/AE82
Page 1 of 1