4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New member!

Go down 
+3
DjSpecter
Atomic Sheep
maloner
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
maloner

maloner

Car : 1985 Toyota Corolla Ae86 GT-S/1985 Toyota Corolla AE86 Sr5

New member! Empty
PostSubject: New member!   New member! EmptySat Oct 02, 2010 10:40 pm

Hello everyone. Name is Maloner, just bought a 1985 Toyota Corolla AE86 Sr5 after waiting 10 yrs my dream car is finally mine! Absolutely love it! Now i'm excited to learn what the 4AC has to offer.

Looks like an interesting site, and good people. Look forward to getting to know you all.

Thanks
Back to top Go down
Atomic Sheep

Car : 1984 Red Toyota Corolla SR5 RWD, 2002 Black Toyota Sequoia SR5 4WD

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 12:54 am

Welcome dude! Don't listen to anyone when they tell you to just trash the 4AC and put in a 4AG, that is the easy way out. Be different and go the path that few follow. But I guess you are already on that path see as that you joined us! Where are you from? How did you come across our little community? You are going to have a lot of fun being a part of us!
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 12:57 am

Welcome sir. So any plans with the car? track? street? cruiser? Post pics of her.
Back to top Go down
Lawnie420

Lawnie420

Car : 1984 ae86 zenki sr5 coupe 4ac

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 10:16 am

Welcome to the site you got questions youll get answers
the site has helped alot with my 4ac powered AE86 but as the others said dont do the 4ag swap i say trash that idea and keep us informed at what you are doing to the ride
Back to top Go down
Http://juggaloclownz.the-up.com
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 5:06 pm

Atomic Sheep wrote:
Welcome dude! Don't listen to anyone when they tell you to just trash the 4AC and put in a 4AG, that is the easy way out. Be different and go the path that few follow. But I guess you are already on that path see as that you joined us! Where are you from? How did you come across our little community? You are going to have a lot of fun being a part of us!

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone!

I'm from the Rochester, Minnesota. Going to college at WSU, Minnesota. Recreation Tourism Major.

I believe this site was referenced from Club4AG. I was searching for information on turbocharging the 4AC, Very Happy and figured I'd come to the experts.
Back to top Go down
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 5:16 pm

DjSpecter wrote:
Welcome sir. So any plans with the car? track? street? cruiser? Post pics of her.

Thanks.

Right now, the AE86 is my "winter beater" but really, that was just an excuse to buy one! haha.

I plan on making the car more track orietated, however street legal. Built for the turnsies and occasional tail sliding.

[img]New member! 1stPic[/img]

There she is in all her finery. I have some work to do on the front end, hood, driver side fender, grill, and side bumpers.
Other than that, the "frame" is clean and no rust really. Was a California car, moved out here two years ago garage kept.
Back to top Go down
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptySun Oct 03, 2010 5:21 pm

Lawnie420 wrote:
Welcome to the site you got questions youll get answers
the site has helped alot with my 4ac powered AE86 but as the others said dont do the 4ag swap i say trash that idea and keep us informed at what you are doing to the ride

Excellent! I'm stoked and will have many questions for sure! Will also keep everyone up to date on progress with it.
Also I don't know if it's possible, but can i multi-qoute posts in a thread?
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 12:44 am

I see you got a good platform to start with. iIt looks good and you were not kidding when you said (Winter Beater) lol im jk. BUt really its a good car to start with.
Back to top Go down
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyMon Oct 04, 2010 1:16 am

DjSpecter wrote:
I see you got a good platform to start with. iIt looks good and you were not kidding when you said (Winter Beater) lol im jk. BUt really its a good car to start with.

Thanks, Haha I know i know she's kinda in tough shape. But I feel lucky to have gotten her. Most here in MN are all rusted out.
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:07 pm

Is that car lowered or just sitting on the saggy springs? I like corollas with the celica suras!
Back to top Go down
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 5:50 pm

DjSpecter wrote:
Is that car lowered or just sitting on the saggy springs? I like corollas with the celica suras!

It is acutally lowered, but running on cut springs unfortunately. It's also got a negative camber on the passenger side front. You suggest coilovers for it??
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 8:45 pm

Hmm..Coilovers...?What are coilovers?

Im jk LOL but really i say no for the fact I made the mistake by buying them cause I wanted to bad to be like my friends and slam the F*** out of my ride. So I droped the 890.00 on some megan coilovers and now I am regreting it. For the fact that "Coilovers are ment for track purposes only" they ride rough and hard and yea it looks good to slam your ride but i mean if its your second car and yougot another car to drive then by all means go for it. Cause over every bump I have to take it slow and even at that my corolla hits hard. I even adjusted it to SOFT setting and its not that great. I say go and buy some springs and call it a day. unless you like to drive hard and take your car to local amature drift events then go all out and buy some coils. But none the less sir your car still looks good with cut springs. I was riding like that the day I got mine. So dont feel left out. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Hachigo_moe

Hachigo_moe

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 4:16 am

Welcome nice corolla , quick question did you by this from some one in Madison Wisconsin ?
Back to top Go down
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:27 am

DjSpecter wrote:
Hmm..Coilovers...?What are coilovers?

Im jk LOL but really i say no for the fact I made the mistake by buying them cause I wanted to bad to be like my friends and slam the F*** out of my ride. So I droped the 890.00 on some megan coilovers and now I am regreting it. For the fact that "Coilovers are ment for track purposes only" they ride rough and hard and yea it looks good to slam your ride but i mean if its your second car and yougot another car to drive then by all means go for it. Cause over every bump I have to take it slow and even at that my corolla hits hard. I even adjusted it to SOFT setting and its not that great. I say go and buy some springs and call it a day. unless you like to drive hard and take your car to local amature drift events then go all out and buy some coils. But none the less sir your car still looks good with cut springs. I was riding like that the day I got mine. So dont feel left out. Very Happy

Haha. Thanks for the pointers on the coilovers, I was unaware that they weren't the most comfortabble ride.
My corolla however is going to be a track/autocross/rip around car that handles well, Twisted Evil so I'll try and deal with the bumpy ride. If you're interested in selling the megan coilovers, and regaining a more comfortable ride, give me a hollar!
Back to top Go down
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 12:35 am

Hachigo_moe wrote:
Welcome nice corolla , quick question did you by this from some one in Madison Wisconsin ?

Thanks Hachigo_moe! I really like it. And yes I did buy it from a guy in Madison. Where are you located in Wisconsin?
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 1:01 am

Honestly if anything I would say start with the simple suspension upgrade and go with the DIY 4 link set up for 170.00 thats with the full 4 link and then the lateral bar then get a stiffer rear sway bar and a some springs with either some stock or tockio blues but make sure if you get some shocks that are OEM please buy them new. And as for the front of the car the bast bet is just new springs and struts and a sway bar. No need for all that T3 nonsense unless your getting real serious and your car is TRACK only. But with just that your car should have VERY VERY little body roll and just a tad bit stiff but very good for a street feel still.
Back to top Go down
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:26 pm

DjSpecter wrote:
Honestly if anything I would say start with the simple suspension upgrade and go with the DIY 4 link set up for 170.00 thats with the full 4 link and then the lateral bar then get a stiffer rear sway bar and a some springs with either some stock or tockio blues but make sure if you get some shocks that are OEM please buy them new. And as for the front of the car the bast bet is just new springs and struts and a sway bar. No need for all that T3 nonsense unless your getting real serious and your car is TRACK only. But with just that your car should have VERY VERY little body roll and just a tad bit stiff but very good for a street feel still.

Thanks again for the info. I really have no idea where to start with the car, I wanna do everything at once which I know is a dangerous idea. haha. It is also the first car I've ever planned to mod so I'm a little unfamiliar with what to do first.

While seaching for a 4 link set-up last night I found this website: http://www.technotoytuning.com/index2.php
Are you familiar with this site and do they make a qualitity product?

Also, could you direct me to other websites and companies that make quality products for the AE86? When building this car up, I want quality parts, and build it up proper, and not with cheap chinese crap, even though it will take me longer to build for cost reasons.

And I really appreciate the help and pointers, everyone on this website as been extremely helpful! Thank you very much!
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

Car : 1984 Toyota Corolla Sport, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1968 F250

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 2:56 pm

I hope nobody takes offense to this, but most of us are also on club4ag. They have a decent (though antiquated) tech section which can be very helpful with choosing suspension components. Just not worth asking questions about your motor Razz
Back to top Go down
http://www.redlinedaily.com
Hachigo_moe

Hachigo_moe

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyMon Oct 11, 2010 6:44 pm

I'm located in Madison
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyTue Oct 12, 2010 12:53 am

Hmm...Club4ag..WOuld you really want to even say that site? Cause the way I see it there jut a bunch of...You know what forget it. Just as he said dont even mention your engine on there and if you do you will know why. But for starters like I said just do the simple 4 link upgrade. There is no reason why you should spend the 300.00 + bucks for that stuff. Here is a link for the DIY stuff. That is if you know what your doing then yea go this route.

http://www.86garage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1673&start=0

that is WIlls car he is a formula D driver and he is running this set up on his turbo 4ag. So if your wondering if it will holdup to drifting and the abuse YES IT WILL.

And really the major rule of thumb is dont fix it unless its broken. With that said dont go buying parts that you really dont need unless thre going out or about to go out. So hardcore people like to replace all the suspension parts as soon as they get the car. If anything a good pleace to start is the ENERGY SUSPENSION BUSHING KIT. That alone will get your suspension in check again. then the simple drop springs and sway bars the 4 link then the lateral bar then then get some camber plates and see what that does for you. That alone will blow your mind! trust me, thats about it for suspension. T3 is a good source for things but i use ebay alot. lol

Nonstoptuning.com
technotoytuning.com
86garage.com
ebay.com

Thats pretty much all I can say when it comes to the AE chassis. But if you got the money then yea go with T3 but I like to do as much stuff as I can to my car with out buying the most highly priced stuff. You know what can make a car go fast and handle very well???? SEAT TIME!!!! find a open lot where you will got get kicked out of or get the cops called on you and just let loose and see how the car reacts to eveything you do. then that alone is the base to which you build apon. I mean yea adding a carb or full exhaust will make you fasterbut it changes the car totaly. If you can get behind the wheel and know what the car is gonna do and how you can imrove it then buy or make what you can. Just dont start buying everything you see or hear about cause in the long run you would not even need it. But suspension bushings is the FIRST!!!!! thing you should look at.
Back to top Go down
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 1:56 pm

Hachigo_moe wrote:
I'm located in Madison

Sweet. I'm currently going to school in Winona, MN, about 3 hrs away from you. We'll need to meet up sometime.
Back to top Go down
maloner

maloner

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 2:28 pm

DjSpecter wrote:
Hmm...Club4ag..WOuld you really want to even say that site? Cause the way I see it there jut a bunch of...You know what forget it. Just as he said dont even mention your engine on there and if you do you will know why. But for starters like I said just do the simple 4 link upgrade. There is no reason why you should spend the 300.00 + bucks for that stuff. Here is a link for the DIY stuff. That is if you know what your doing then yea go this route.

http://www.86garage.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=17&t=1673&start=0

that is WIlls car he is a formula D driver and he is running this set up on his turbo 4ag. So if your wondering if it will holdup to drifting and the abuse YES IT WILL.

And really the major rule of thumb is dont fix it unless its broken. With that said dont go buying parts that you really dont need unless thre going out or about to go out. So hardcore people like to replace all the suspension parts as soon as they get the car. If anything a good pleace to start is the ENERGY SUSPENSION BUSHING KIT. That alone will get your suspension in check again. then the simple drop springs and sway bars the 4 link then the lateral bar then then get some camber plates and see what that does for you. That alone will blow your mind! trust me, thats about it for suspension. T3 is a good source for things but i use ebay alot. lol

Nonstoptuning.com
technotoytuning.com
86garage.com
ebay.com

Thats pretty much all I can say when it comes to the AE chassis. But if you got the money then yea go with T3 but I like to do as much stuff as I can to my car with out buying the most highly priced stuff. You know what can make a car go fast and handle very well???? SEAT TIME!!!! find a open lot where you will got get kicked out of or get the cops called on you and just let loose and see how the car reacts to eveything you do. then that alone is the base to which you build apon. I mean yea adding a carb or full exhaust will make you fasterbut it changes the car totaly. If you can get behind the wheel and know what the car is gonna do and how you can imrove it then buy or make what you can. Just dont start buying everything you see or hear about cause in the long run you would not even need it. But suspension bushings is the FIRST!!!!! thing you should look at.

I actually do have an account on club4ag under the same name. I don't care for the environment, seems like to much hate. That's why this forum attracted me also, less hate, as of yet! haha.

Thank you again sir. You are all a wealth of knowledge, and I honestly do appreciate the help. Those websites are also helpful and I am enjoying perusing them. I defintiely agree that seat time is required. It's quite a change from 5spd fwd Integra, and trying to drive a auto rwd car, but much I love the rwd platform. Not so much a fan of the auto tranny however.

Building parts for myself tho, would be great. And a good feeling of satisfaction as well. Thanks for the 86garage 4 link set up. I'll get on it as soon as I can, when funds allow. haha
Back to top Go down
that1hatchi

Car : 1985 AE86

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 4:25 pm

all the cool people dont really post on club4ag anymore, but ive never gotten any hate there Shocked ive gotten good help here and on club4ag Very Happy did you guys get bullied or something Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

Car : 1984 Toyota Corolla Sport, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1968 F250

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyThu Oct 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Honestly the only reason that there have been any 4ac sites is because there was too much 4ac hate on club4ag. However, they do have a lot of suspension know how. Seeing as our suspensions closely resemble their 4ag powered counter parts, it only makes sense to get information from wherever it is available. All you have to do is sort through the bull shit "just swap it" attitude, and you will be fine. Yeah the 4ag is a better motor, but some of us would rather work with what we have.

I usually post what I know and what I want to know here, but they do have a few good people still there that are willing to answer questions no matter the motor. If it is 4ac related... then I try to link people from club4ag over here so that they can see there are a lot of people working with 4acs and know how to fix them. Suspension wise though, they are not a bad resource.

Edit: BTW... to answer your original question about 4 links, like DjSpecter said... for sure change the bushings first. Personally though, I don't think there is really a need to swap out the 4links... just stick to urethane busings. Unless you really need to correct your pinion angle from slamming the car. Razz

Last edited by Glock30 on Thu Oct 14, 2010 4:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : answering the origional question)
Back to top Go down
http://www.redlinedaily.com
DjSpecter

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! EmptyFri Oct 15, 2010 1:39 am

Yea the4link I got only cause like he siad is my car is SLAMMED!! lol iamlike super low at the moment. my homemade lip is on the ground. and its not some home depot lip either its froma Volvo 240
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

New member! Empty
PostSubject: Re: New member!   New member! Empty

Back to top Go down

New member!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next