4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

New to 4AC and am looking for info

Go down 
+2
suprastarr
Tig
6 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

Car : 93 BMW 318is

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:28 pm

Frame rails could be subframe (they don't rust cuz they're usually coated in oil leaks) or rear 4 links (they like to rust) but I can't think of any other rails.

Now this is an interesting situation you're in, and it depends how deep your pockets are, but stay with me here. The body needs love all over right?
Bumpers: JDM freshness
Fenders: Origin widebody
Doors: Seibon carbon fiber
Rear quarters: DMax widebody
Hood: anything carbon fiber
Maybe even Levin swap since the fenders need to be replaced anyways.

As much as I hate to say it, eBay and Club4ag are my speed shops of choice. 95% of my stuff came from one or the other. A great shop from whom I got my exhaust and Cusco engine mounts is Rhys Millen Racing, although they give a discounted when contacted through Club4ag. Also check out rhdjapan.com for cool stuff.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 8:43 pm

Eric,
I like where you're going with this Smile
This will certainly not happen overnight but I am definately on the same page.
I have been trolling the bay and club4ag for parts. Once I recieve it though, I'll be more into stripping it down completely, cleaning and doing some seam welding.

As for the frame rails. He said and I quote "frame rails are actually meant to be replaced. All it is is a pinched line of metal running along the frame to be used as a lifting point when lifting the car. So supporting all the weight of the car, naturally they're going to bend." end quote.

Thanks for the info, I appreciate it.
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 9:20 pm

Buhhhhh....? It's a unibody car? It's a bunch of stamped pieces of sheet metal glued together with a couple of welds to make the highway safety folks happy. Maybe he's talking about the rocker panels under the doors. I didn't know those were servicable, not without big time cut n welding.

Ultra Racing sells bolt on underside frame bars that go from front to back. They're a couple hundred bucks, but I would think they are worth it. Plus in your case they might even hold the car together. Razz
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySun Oct 14, 2012 9:34 pm

I know, I'm not sure if he knows what he's talking about.
Rocker panels sojnd right to me.

From the descriptions he is giving, I think they would be a worth while investment, cheers
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 5:05 pm

Here it is cheers

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 84AE86-19
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 5:09 pm

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 84AE86-18

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 84AE86-14

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 84AE86-1

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 84AE86-8

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 84AE86-9

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 84AE86-7

Back to top Go down
driftingturtle

driftingturtle

Car : 1986 Toyotta Corolla SR5 Coupe

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 6:57 pm

Niceeeee!!! Is that the white coupe with the blue-ish headlights? Also where's the other interior pieces??? Weber carb too? Extra niceeeee afro
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 8:49 pm

Thanks man. Yup, thats it.
Not sure where the interior peices are, hah. I member of another forum is going to be stripping down a GTR for me, hopefully he'll be able to find mostly everything. We'll see.
I'm pretty stoked, it most certainly is a driver to which makes me even more happy.

Now, what to do first?
Back to top Go down
driftingturtle

driftingturtle

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:10 pm

Yeah buddy that's nice wish I bought a running one, but learn as you go I guess haha and GTR? As in Nissan GTR right? Damn..for the interior?? Unless you meant GTS? Also uh not sure, how's it run now?? And if you need some interior I may have a couple of things..I think!
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:29 pm

Pretty sure GTS, not GTR lol. Laughing

What to do first? Like you said somewhere, tune up! Fluids n filters, plugs n wires, cap n rotor. Then check all the brakes and suspension bits, bet the bushings have seen better days if they are original. Don't buy the first set of wheels you find, make sure they are the badass set you want for a long time.
Back to top Go down
suprastarr

suprastarr

Car : 85 corolla

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 9:45 pm

nice car. looks pretty clean man! what motor is that?
Back to top Go down
http://tristateimports.freeforums.org
driftingturtle

driftingturtle

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 10:03 pm

haha GTR would be awesome. And should be a 3TC I believe on his behalf Supra.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 6:14 pm

Hah sorry, I meant GTS. I can only have dreams about GTRs, hah.

I would say the only thing thats a negative is the drivers door handle does not work from the outside. Is this a common problem? Could it be the mechanism located inside the door?

Drifting,
It seems to be running well right now. He drove it roughly two hours to our meeting spot. I drove it around my neighborhood to go through the gears and was running just fine. I'm planning on a complete tune-up front to back, thats first on the list.
I'll hit you up for the interior, though right now thats not really a concern as I'm also going to be stripping the paint and installing an 8 point.

Eric,
Yup, I goofed, hah. GTS. Ah, the bushing, I'll go write that down to. Thats true about the wheels. Like the interior, they are not a priority right now, though I would like some I can wait. They sell some decent looking wheels on the bay for short money. Tune up, 8 point and suspension is going to be the order I'm going to go for. Though its not set in stone that order might get bumped around.

suprastarr,
Thanks, surprisingly it is very clean, hah. From the others I have looked at, this one looks showroom new. Yup, its a 3tc. Thanks DT Wink
Did you happen to have an AE86 with a 7M motor in it?

Things I found so far is a machined billet waterpump pulley and a 4 barrel intake manifold(somethings a brewin)
This is the bar I'm looking at. http://www.enjukuracing.com/products/S%26W-Race-Cars-8-Point-Roll-Cage-%252d-AE86-Toyota-Corolla.html
I also found some camber plates on the bay that I might throw a bid on.
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 8:52 pm

That's a good roll cage, but you did see it's a weld in job, and the pipes are not notched? Carl in Nashvegas makes serious stuff that will pass all tech inspections. His user name is whitespartian on Club4ag.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 9:22 pm

Yes, I did notice. Have you noticed my user name Very Happy I'm a welder by trade, I also have a tubing notcher tongue
Thanks for the info, I'll go check him out.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyFri Mar 08, 2013 11:19 pm

Well, I havent been here in a while.
I finally got it registered and am dailying it. I'm looking into buying a DIYer coil over kit to improve the handling that along with some wheels and tires.
Does anyone know a good site for AE86 wheels?

This is my most recent purchase. I found an EFI intake manifold but the guy wants to retire off of the sale, so now I'm thinking about building my own EFI intake manifold.

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 Sidedrafts-2_zps250b958e

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 Sidedrafts-4_zps76208443

New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 Sidedrafts-1_zps1974f391

Hows everyone doing?
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 8:50 am

How is that fuel injected, those are Weber carbs man. That inlet tube will mess up clean air flow to the carbs, too. Unless it's going to be turbo'd, I wouldn't mess with that.
Back to top Go down
HachiRolla

HachiRolla

Car : AE86 SR5

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:03 am

I'm no expert by any means, but I would navigate away from that cage. right on the website it says that it's "for show" and "would likely not pass any sanctioning body inspection."

Thats kinda scary..
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 9:49 pm

Eric,
My recent purchase was the webers pictured.
In my search I found an efi intake manifold.
That set up was blow through. I am taking that intake off and putting on stacks with filters on.

Hachi,
If you look at the options, there are three. I copied and pasted it so you can see it. Each part number has its own description. The first option is for show only, the other two will pass.
Roll Cage Type:
11-5048 = $199.95
11-5048-DOM = $429.95
11-5048-CM = $579.95

11-5048
84-87 Toyota Corolla,1-3/4 x .134" wall tubing. (More for shows, most likely will not pass any sort of motorsports tech.)

11-5048-DOM
84-87 Toyota Corolla, 1-3/4 X .120" wall DOM tubing.

11-5048-CM
84-87 Toyota Corolla, 1-3/4 x .083" wall moly tubing
Back to top Go down
HachiRolla

HachiRolla

Car : AE86 SR5

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 10:02 pm

I see! I would have been concerned with a $200 cage. The others are a better option it looks like. When I've built spec cages in the past materials usually run atleast $200 so I figured something was not safe about it, especially considering that they even said it wouldn't pass an inspection.
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 10:38 pm

Hah, it took me a second to figure it out to. The cost alone threw me off, until I clicked on the DOM option.
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptySat Mar 09, 2013 11:31 pm

Tig wrote:
Eric,
My recent purchase was the webers pictured.
In my search I found an efi intake manifold.
That set up was blow through. I am taking that intake off and putting on stacks with filters on.

Ok cool! Those will really wake up that engine. Stacks are pretty cheap, do the carbs have all the linkage and business they need? You can sell that plenum and get some stacks!
Back to top Go down
Tig

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 9:22 pm

I'm looking forward to the install.
I need a couple of things first and then I'll be ready to install them.
He had rigged up a linkage using the stock throttle cable, I'll try that first while I'm waiting for the linkage kit to arrive.
I'm actually going to keep that plenum, I have a couple of ideas going through my head, that plenum is in store for some chop cut and rebuild.
I've also found some stacks and filters. When they arrive, I'll post new pics.
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 EmptyMon Mar 11, 2013 10:06 pm

I, too, have a rigged stock cable on the carbs. I wish I had a real linkage kit lol.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: New to 4AC and am looking for info   New to 4AC and am looking for info - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

New to 4AC and am looking for info
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3