4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

manual steering rack mounting bracket

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Armored86

Armored86

Car : 1985 toyota corolla sr5

manual steering rack mounting bracket Empty
PostSubject: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 12:15 am

so im swapping over to a manual rack and i bought the techno toy tuning manual rack adapter bushings....but the bushing doesnt fit in the driverside bracket. i guess the manual rack is a larger diameter or something....anyone have input or a spare set of brackets?
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

Car : 1984 Toyota Corolla Sport, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1968 F250

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 11:39 am

Take a pic of the adapter bushing... I believe the T3 kit is only on one side... the passenger side. That is the side that is thinner on the manual rack. Maybe there is a different bushing for the drivers side. Not to sure, but I think they are the same.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redlinedaily.com
Armored86

Armored86

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 4:07 pm

yeah, your right. here is a comparison shot from another site. guess i need the poly bushings too.

http://www.modified.com/projectcars/0712_sccp_toyota_corolla_ae86/photo_07.html
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 5:15 pm

LOL no you dont need it I ust bent the bracket and made the bushing fit. If you are doing this conversion you can use the bushings you have already or the bushings that came off your non power steering rack. Thats how im running mine.
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyThu Oct 07, 2010 5:38 pm

Not too sure if that is the safest way to do that. It should work... but you are better off with either the factory Toyota bracket, or the T3 bushing. I have an original manual rack and looking at where the bushing is, if you just bend the upper bracket (the same one as the PS one) your rack might not be centered.
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 1:19 am

Glock30 wrote:
Not too sure if that is the safest way to do that. It should work... but you are better off with either the factory Toyota bracket, or the T3 bushing. I have an original manual rack and looking at where the bushing is, if you just bend the upper bracket (the same one as the PS one) your rack might not be centered.

Really? All I did was take the bushing out nad cut it in half and have a bottom and Top part and put it together and its been holding on for almostabout 2 years. Its been doing fine. I did the MR2 rack conversion. I mean idk what rack her has but its simple and easy and well it works for me.
Back to top Go down
elcano9

elcano9

Car : 1987 AE86 Coupe

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 2:28 am

I am clueless as to what this "manual rack" conversion is. Any hints? confused
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 4:15 am

Well I dont want to stereo type people but its what drifters use for the ultimate full lock. Instead of using the powersteering rack we use the Manual rack from the MR2 or I belive the TE corolla to give more angle on turning. that rack combined with power steering knuckles and inner nad outer tie rods will give you super angel. Here look...this is with everything I was telling you about.

manual steering rack mounting bracket Lock
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 11:50 am

The AE86 also came with the option of a manual rack.
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptyFri Oct 08, 2010 9:22 pm

Yea but the time and effort and cash trying to get/find one is rare.
Back to top Go down
Armored86

Armored86

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 12:47 pm

not really. the worst part is the intermediate shaft and u joint. i bought a reman rack with zero miles for 185.

now my only question is do i use the poly bushings with that t3 steering rack adapter bushing?
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptySat Oct 09, 2010 8:49 pm

Armored86 wrote:
not really. the worst part is the intermediate shaft and u joint. i bought a reman rack with zero miles for 185.

now my only question is do i use the poly bushings with that t3 steering rack adapter bushing?

the intermediate shaft from the supra is not that hard to find. Its just getting that out is the hard part. LOL
But if you have themoney then yes by all means go for it and do it. But if you bought the rack and it has the bushings with it you can use them just cut the drivers side in half and it fits like a glove.
Back to top Go down
Armored86

Armored86

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 12:41 am

honestly its not that bad if you shop around. i bought my rack off a guy from club4ag. he sells zero mile remans for 185. i paid 217 shipped i beleive. then 32 for the t3 adapter. 20 for poly mount bushings. 50 shipped for the int. shaft and u joint off another club4ag member. the only things i have left to buy are the rack spacer from ajps which is almost 70 and good outer tie rod ends with heim joints. t3 also sells those with their own beefy knuckles for 240.

so for roughly 630 bucks you get brand new steering components across the board with rediculous amounts of angle that you probably wont even need to utilize all of even at the track...
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 1:16 am

Armored86 wrote:
honestly its not that bad if you shop around. i bought my rack off a guy from club4ag. he sells zero mile remans for 185. i paid 217 shipped i beleive. then 32 for the t3 adapter. 20 for poly mount bushings. 50 shipped for the int. shaft and u joint off another club4ag member. the only things i have left to buy are the rack spacer from ajps which is almost 70 and good outer tie rod ends with heim joints. t3 also sells those with their own beefy knuckles for 240.

so for roughly 630 bucks you get brand new steering components across the board with rediculous amounts of angle that you probably wont even need to utilize all of even at the track...

I see what your saying and I say if you have the money for it by all means go for it. I know all of us love the smell and feel of brand new parts. But ever since the drifting craze and the inital D tax people put on our cars. parts and prices have increased like crazy! I mean if I had close to 650 ill get brand new parts myself. and the majorty of us are trying to save money and use what we can get our hands on. Only a few of us can choose the pay to play option. Ihope im not sounding rude or anything if so i am sorry but thats jut how it is. I mean before drifting came to the states people were selling our cars for maby like 5oo to 600 bucks funning even for a GTS they were selling for 1000 at the most. Now you cant find a single AE86 on craigslist or anywhere that says good for drifting or easly sliding car.
Back to top Go down
Armored86

Armored86

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket EmptySun Oct 10, 2010 8:55 am

i understand where your coming from as well. you do have to pay to play in most cases and your right about the hype markup...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: manual steering rack mounting bracket   manual steering rack mounting bracket Empty

Back to top Go down

manual steering rack mounting bracket
Page 1 of 1