4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I'm New

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
FXRolla88

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: I'm New   I'm New EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 12:43 am

Want to say hello to everyone, I just aquired an older 1988 FX Corolla. ill need some help. firstly i have a sunpro tach wired up yet it's waaay off
Back to top Go down
NP75
Admin

Car : AE86

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 1:45 am

Do you have it set for the correct number cylinders?
Back to top Go down
https://4ac-powered.forumotion.com
FXRolla88

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 11:21 am

yeh, ive got it set 4 but at 70 mph it read 5k
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

Car : 1984 Toyota Corolla Sport, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1968 F250

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 1:07 pm

auto?
Back to top Go down
http://www.redlinedaily.com
FXRolla88

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 7:40 pm

i fixed it, it was 8 and not 4cyl. and my fx is a stick
Back to top Go down
FXRolla88

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyThu Aug 12, 2010 10:45 pm

i had to put it on the right setting. it was on 8, i have a problem with my timing tho, my balancer is chipped. ive been told it's broken and ive also been told i just need to adjust it... any ideas?
Back to top Go down
supremecosmo

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyMon Aug 16, 2010 6:15 pm

hey, im new aswell..i have a 1986 crolla sr5
Back to top Go down
slowtec

slowtec

Car : 1984 Corolla SR5 Hatchback

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 12:29 am

I am new as well, I saved an 84 Corolla SR5 hatch from the crusher.

Was visiting my parents in my home town a few months ago and was driving to lunch with my dad and I saw the beautiful back end of a old Corolla Hatch sticking out from behind some broken down old cars on the side of a used car dealer. Like any other self-respecting Corolla lover, I inconspicuously sauntered back there to see what was going on, the dealer told me that it was abandoned on the highway when it broke down on some people traveling through the state, they called for a tow truck, asked for him to drop them off at the Toyota dealer in town, bought a new Corolla and left the old one with the tow company. The tow company also owned the used car lot, but since they didn't have a title for the Rolla, they were going to take it to the crusher and get a couple hundred bucks out of the metal!

The engine starts, but it has a pretty strong knock. It has the sport interior, so other than the lumbar pump in the seat, the interior is the same as on the 85 GTS. Best part though by far is how clean the sheet metal is, there are no dents and no rust on the entire car. It's in perfect condition, the paint is faded and worn, but seriously it is in amazingly good shape.

All my friends drive 85-87 GTS Corollas, and they have a variety of engine setups so I was half hoping to do a 4AC build and keep it a SR5 rather than running for the 4AG, I'm not really concerned with building a powerful Corolla, I want something a little different, even if it takes longer and ends up costing a little more, I have never had the most powerful or best and it would go against my character to abandon the little engine that could. (And because I want to really try a dual side-draft carb setup on this baby)

I live in the Portland-Metro Area in Oregon, and I am just hoping to really start restoring the Corolla to it's former glory. I'm pretty excited to be in the group, I have been rolling in Honda's and Acura's for a decade now, which is where my moniker came from, and my family is into first hot rods and classic car restoration so I am hailing from a car background, just changing it up a little.

Nice to meet you all
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 11:48 am

did you figure out the issue with the title?
Back to top Go down
slowtec

slowtec

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 1:01 pm

Quote :
did you figure out the issue with the title?

Unfortunately, I haven't yet. I went to the DMV and ran a check on the car's VIN to see if I could track down the owner and at least get a Bill of Sale, no go. It was never registered in the state, so they have no record of it's existence. (I wonder if a Carfax check would tell me where it was registered...)

It is probably a long and difficult route to getting a new title at the point I am at, and most likely any title I can acquire for it will be a salvage title, but since I know nothing is wrong and I am never planning on selling it, having a branded title doesn't really bother me. I have a feeling that there is some sort of squatter's rights on the ability to get a title for a vehicle, because there are quite a few restorations around here that begin with abandoned classic car bodies that they find out in the desert. (Grew up in Idaho, it happened now and again)

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can do about getting a title it would be helpful. The only other plan I can think of would be to find another SR5 is terribad shape, but with a title, and swap VINs. Which I know isn't technically legal, but I could claim it is restoration. But finding a cheap Corolla hatch, regardless of condition, with a title probably won't be a picnic so I am hoping to keep from doing that.
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 2:46 pm

be careful with that... totally illegal... not worth the risk in my opinion...
Back to top Go down
slowtec

slowtec

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyTue Aug 17, 2010 5:54 pm

Glock30 wrote:

Haha, I know it, especially if you've heard of a few reputable restoration shops being searched and seized lately. Besides that, there's no way I want to meet Tossed Salad man in prison.

I'll be sure to make sure it is legal before it ventures out on public roadways. I have a bill of sell from the guy who sold it to me, but since he didn't have the title and never had the title, as far as I know it isn't worth the paper it is written on. But I am also in another state from where I purchased the car, so there is a chance that I can apply for a salvage or reconstructed title with the bill of sale I have.

I mean I could also Carfax the car, figure out what state it was registered, go to that state to their DMV, find out who the last owner was, track them down, get them to sign a bill of sale or hand over the title if they still have it. But I'll try everything else first, the thing is too dang clean to not go through the trouble.

But before I go through all the trouble, I have to get it back into fighting form. It was sitting behind a used car lot for 2 years in the sun, than once I grabbed it, I scrubbed it down, covered it up and it has been sitting in the back corner of one of my father's shops for the last 3 years.

I have been in college living in dorm rooms and don't have a place to keep it up here, but I am finally bringing him home. In his better days he was a silver-on-black panda, but like most silver cars in the 1980s the paint has long since faded away leaving a metal-on-black panda scheme, haha.
Back to top Go down
slowtec

slowtec

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New EmptyThu Aug 26, 2010 6:54 pm

slowtec wrote:
Glock30 wrote:

I mean I could also Carfax the car, figure out what state it was registered, go to that state to their DMV, find out who the last owner was, track them down, get them to sign a bill of sale or hand over the title if they still have it. But I'll try everything else first, the thing is too dang clean to not go through the trouble.

Found out where the car is from! It's from Nevada, ran a VIN check at the DMV here. And all they could tell me is that the last time a title was issued was in 2002 in Nevada. So I am going to give the Nevada DMV a call and see what my next steps will have to be. Hopefully I can get this thing all sorted soon.

Not super excited about the DMV spent the last 3 mornings in the DMV just trying to replace my Idaho DL with an Oregon one. Finally got it done this morning. Someone tell me that Nevada isn't so bad...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

I'm New Empty
PostSubject: Re: I'm New   I'm New Empty

Back to top Go down

I'm New
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4AC Powered :: General Discussion-
Jump to: