4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

ae86 rear road noise

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
musiciansfriend

Car : '84 corolla sr5

ae86 rear road noise Empty
PostSubject: ae86 rear road noise   ae86 rear road noise EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 3:02 am

hey guys. my car makes this really loud noise when i drive 20+mph. i was just in a minor rear end collision and the dude that hit me bent my muffler but i dont think its my exhaust cause its quiet when its on idle. the noise gets louder when im on the freeway but when i turn, it sometimes disappears. could this be my wheel bearing? any thoughts?
Back to top Go down
steamjam

steamjam

Car : 1980 Corolla, and a bunch of 4AC parts..

PostSubject: Re: ae86 rear road noise   ae86 rear road noise EmptySun Feb 21, 2010 6:58 pm

be abit more specific on the noise.. Is it s klunk, grind, bang, etc?
Back to top Go down
musiciansfriend

PostSubject: Re: ae86 rear road noise   ae86 rear road noise EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 12:32 am

steamjam wrote:
be abit more specific on the noise.. Is it s klunk, grind, bang, etc?

it sounds like its grinding. i just got new tires so i dont think its that. also, i have noticed another kind of noise that coming from the rear end as well. when im in gear, and if i press down the gas, i hear a different grinding sound and if i let go, thats when i hear the "bad wheel bearing sound." idk if that makes sense but ill try to record the sound asap.
Back to top Go down
87AE-82

87AE-82

Car : 1987 Corolla FWD

PostSubject: Re: ae86 rear road noise   ae86 rear road noise EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:22 am

theres something bent or a problem with the diff or drive axles its hard to say since you got hit.
Back to top Go down
https://www.youtube.com/fredtflail
musiciansfriend

PostSubject: Re: ae86 rear road noise   ae86 rear road noise EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 2:29 am

87AE-82 wrote:
theres something bent or a problem with the diff or drive axles its hard to say since you got hit.
the thing is though, the dude only hit the exhaust (the piping is bent so its pushed back a little). the car drives fine and handles well. the noise was already there even before the accident but ill look into that.
Back to top Go down
steamjam

steamjam

Car : 1980 Corolla, and a bunch of 4AC parts..

PostSubject: Re: ae86 rear road noise   ae86 rear road noise EmptyMon Feb 22, 2010 3:59 pm

musiciansfriend wrote:

the thing is though, the dude only hit the exhaust (the piping is bent so its pushed back a little). the car drives fine and handles well. the noise was already there even before the accident but ill look into that.

Well if the title of this thread denotes the model of car you have then we can assume that its a RWD, which means that the noise you hear since it was there before your accident is prolly the axle gears themselves going bad. easy check:

lift ass end up and pop the axle drain plug. see what, if anything comes out. If you see shards of metal.. there ya go. New axle time. If very little oil comes out, or if no oil comes out. Fill it and pray you didn't damage the gears too bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: ae86 rear road noise   ae86 rear road noise Empty

Back to top Go down

ae86 rear road noise
Page 1 of 1