4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Slight Sputter Under Load

Go down 
AuthorMessage
PAguy

PAguy

Car : 1984 SR5 RWD 5 speed

Slight Sputter Under Load Empty
PostSubject: Slight Sputter Under Load   Slight Sputter Under Load EmptyThu Dec 17, 2015 7:53 pm

Well, I got my valve stem seals replaced earlier this fall. Just this past week, my '84 SR5 developed a slight sputter under load, like going up steep hills. It's not bad, and hasn't affected the fuel economy, but it annoys me. I first replaced the plugs, distributor cap and rotor. Since that didn't help, I replaced the fuel filter (should have done that first at $3.99 from NAPA). Still the same deal. I'm thinking since the gas mileage is still the same (35 on the highway, 30 in the country, 28 in town), might be fuel delivery. So I just put my backup carburetor on. We'll see how that goes.
Does this sound like it could be a valve clearance thing? I was very careful and believe I set them right, but that's the only thing that should have changed. Idle is fine, so I don't believe it's a vacuum problem.
Back to top Go down

Slight Sputter Under Load
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
4AC Powered :: General Discussion-
Jump to: