4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

oil cooler on 4ac??

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
ae82driver

Car : 1986 corolla sedan ae82

oil cooler on 4ac?? Empty
PostSubject: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyTue May 06, 2014 9:47 pm

im new to the forum and ive been thinking about putting a oil cooler on my 4ac powered ae82 sedan because i do mostly highway driving including a 16 hour journey to new hampshire from south carolina happening this summer. i will be doing an external mount if i go through with for looks. has anyone done this before???
Back to top Go down
rumsawatti

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyWed May 07, 2014 9:19 am

There are like two other threads on this if you search, but from what I know, here is the basic rundown. You are going to need a 4age oil pan for the return port and you will need a 4age sandwich plate for the cooler. You could use a 4age oil cooler as well, but if you are mounting it for looks, the best thing to do would be to use a rx7/FC oil cooler. Basically, from there, you just bolt everything on, hook up lines and good to go.
For more information on running the lines and stuff, search for those threads...the downside though is that unfortunately, most of the pictures dont work anymore..
Back to top Go down
ae82driver

Car : 1986 corolla sedan ae82

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyWed May 07, 2014 3:07 pm

cant i just get a universal sandwich adapter and i only want like a small oil cooler like 13in. x 4-5in.
Back to top Go down
rumsawatti

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyWed May 07, 2014 5:27 pm

I dont see why not...and I think the oem GTS one is about that size, so you should be fine just running a 4age setup..
Back to top Go down
yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 6:09 pm

Hey guys,

Not to thread jack, but does a 4AC (or even a 7AC) need an oil cooler?

I bought the parts for it a while back but haven't got around to installing it, mainly because I am questioning if it'll even help.
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

Car : 1984 Toyota Corolla Sport, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1968 F250

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 8:09 pm

yellowsnow4free wrote:
Hey guys,

Not to thread jack, but does a 4AC (or even a 7AC) need an oil cooler?

I bought the parts for it a while back but haven't got around to installing it, mainly because I am questioning if it'll even help.

Really depends on how hard you drive it. If you are doing hard track days and pushing the motor, it's probably a good idea. If you are just getting groceries... it's probably over kill.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redlinedaily.com
rumsawatti

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyTue Jun 17, 2014 9:29 pm

Pretty much what glock said,
If you already have everything to do it though, including the time, I dont see why not. But either way, its not going to have much effect on anything. Hell, mounting it externally for aesthetics might be the biggest gain you might see from it. lol So, in theory, does it need an oil cooler. No.
But like glock said, if you want to drive the hell out if it, its probably worth putting in.
Back to top Go down
yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 11:21 am

My car is just my DD, so no track days or anything like that. It'll need more work to be a track car Razz

I have a FC oil cooler and I think it's too big for a 4AC (probably too big for a 7AC as well).
Back to top Go down
suprastarr

suprastarr

Car : 85 corolla

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 5:57 pm

Couldn't it be considered as a bit of an engine longevity mod?
Back to top Go down
http://tristateimports.freeforums.org
yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 6:37 pm

suprastarr wrote:
Couldn't it be considered as a bit of an engine longevity mod?
Yeah, I guess so. I just know that bigger isn't always better, and (I'm thinking at least) that a FC oil cooler is too big for a stock 4AC.

Heck, the OEM GTS oil cooler is pretty tiny compared to it.

Just thinking out loud I suppose Smile
Back to top Go down
rumsawatti

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyWed Jun 18, 2014 9:47 pm

Yeah, and ive honestly heard people say that even the gts oil cooler isnt even necessary on the 4age unless you race it or do hardcore driving. I guess it could help make the engine and seals last though lol
If you decide to sell that fc cooler, let me know what you are looking for, I might end up using one in my future build if I can piece everything together for a good price and feel like doing it lol, I might have or can get you a gts cooler if you need one too just let me know.
Back to top Go down
yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 12:32 am

rumsawatti wrote:
Yeah, and ive honestly heard people say that even the gts oil cooler isnt even necessary on the 4age unless you race it or do hardcore driving. I guess it could help make the engine and seals last though lol
If you decide to sell that fc cooler, let me know what you are looking for, I might end up using one in my future build if I can piece everything together for a good price and feel like doing it lol, I might have or can get you a gts cooler if you need one too just let me know.
Yeah, I like the idea of an oil cooler for engine longevity, but I'm worried that running a FC oil cooler might cause problems since it's quite big.

I've gotta rethink what size oil cooler I need for my 4AC (and eventual 7AC build).

I'm hoping to go through my spare parts soon and see what I'd like to sell. Idk if you're local rumsawatti (I'm in NorCal) but if I do decide to sell some parts I'll probably open it to local buyers first.
Back to top Go down
rumsawatti

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 8:21 am

Nope not local. No problem, just putting it out there.
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

Car : 1984 Toyota Corolla Sport, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1968 F250

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 9:58 am

It really shouldn't be too big of a problem so long as there is a thermal bypass valve in place. This will make sure that you are not cooling your oil too much.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redlinedaily.com
yellowsnow4free

yellowsnow4free

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? EmptyThu Jun 19, 2014 12:18 pm

Glock30 wrote:
It really shouldn't be too big of a problem so long as there is a thermal bypass valve in place.  This will make sure that you are not cooling your oil too much.
And luckily the FC oil cooler does (assuming the thermostat is working).

Idk, I need to take a look at my parts again and see if this is a good idea or not Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: oil cooler on 4ac??   oil cooler on 4ac?? Empty

Back to top Go down

oil cooler on 4ac??
Page 1 of 1