4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

new to toyotas and their engines...

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
ae*86killer

Car : 86 Corolla rwd

new to toyotas and their engines... Empty
PostSubject: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 7:40 pm

Hello everyone. Im from cincinnati oh.
Im pretty new to toyotas and the whole 4A engines., lets say that im a honda guy (well ex-honda guy)
A few weeks ago i picked up this 84 corolla hatch with a blown 4 AC .the guy told me that it was just the timing belt blah blah.
i replace all that, but still nothing, ny mec told me that is a bent valve ( weird because i know this are not interference engines). I went and pick up another 4ac with only 116k miles( thats whay i was told anyways)
I havent done the comp test yet. What number should i spect?
I know i cant get more than 140hp, if that with this thing. But i wanna enjoy it and learn as much as i can.
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

Car : 93 BMW 318is

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:02 pm

You gotta try hard to bend a valve, but it's not impossible. Whatever all you learned from Hondas will transfer to Toyotas, except Toyota engines spin the proper direction, whereas Hondas are backwards.
Back to top Go down
ae*86killer

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:41 pm

Im still looking for the VTEC lol...
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 9:53 pm

Lol get a Weber 32/36 progressive carb, up to 3/4 throttle it's one barrel, then full throttle its second barrel opens. VTec kickin in yo!
Back to top Go down
ae*86killer

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 10:12 pm

i think this thing has one already. I will try to get pics tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
ae*86killer

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 10:24 pm

Since i gonna replace every gasket in the engine nd most likely the clutch too, what kind of tranny fluid should i use?
Back to top Go down
Consarnit

Car : Electric Blue 1981 Tercel DLX, White 1982 Tercel 4-door

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 10:59 pm

I've always used plain 80/90 axle grease...
Back to top Go down
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyMon Feb 04, 2013 11:10 pm

Yep 89W90 dope, you need a little more than a quart. Buy 3 quarts and do the rear end, too.
Back to top Go down
ae*86killer

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 7:06 am

Consarnit wrote:
what??? 80/90? For the transmission? I thought there was some kibd of tranny fluid or syncrotech... so do i use the same for the rear def?
Back to top Go down
HachiRolla

HachiRolla

Car : AE86 SR5

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptyTue Feb 05, 2013 8:12 am

My trans has got GM Syncromesh in it. We were running it in an MR2 that was shifting hard and it seemed to smooth it out a little.
Back to top Go down
Consarnit

Car : Electric Blue 1981 Tercel DLX, White 1982 Tercel 4-door

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... EmptySun Feb 24, 2013 5:37 am

ae*86killer wrote:
Consarnit wrote:
what??? 80/90? For the transmission?

It's a plain-Jane synchronized five-speed overdrive gearbox in a ubiquitous mid-eighties economy car with synchronizers that have an alarming tendency to go bad prematurely when one rests his or her hand on the gear selector like a klutz. Yes. From the FSM (Your exact capacity may vary as my FWD gearbox is the car's entire transmission, whereas yours is not):

22. FILL TRANSAXLE WITH GEAR OIL
Oil Grade: API GL-4 or GL-5
Viscosity: SAE 75W-90 or 80W-90
Capacity: 2.6 liters (2.7 USqts, 2.3 Imp qts)

My capacity seems a little high, but that's because my gearbox and differential are one unit, so I have no choice but to change the oil in both at the same time.

I've always used Lucas as it's widely available and cheap. A quart should cost about seven dollars.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: new to toyotas and their engines...   new to toyotas and their engines... Empty

Back to top Go down

new to toyotas and their engines...
Page 1 of 1