Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeRegisterLog in

Share | 

How To: Bring back the shine in plastic exterior trim parts

View previous topic View next topic Go down 
AuthorMessage
BlackStar

PostSubject: How To: Bring back the shine in plastic exterior trim parts   Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:31 pm

Are your exterior plastic trim parts oxidized and faded? Mine were; it really made the car look all of its 25 years of it's age! I decided to do some experimenting on some black plastic parts, like my zenki eyelids, to see if I could bring back the shine. With just some polishing compound, I was able to bring a lot of life back into the part. I also tried the same technique on a side marker and the plastic trunk garnish, with all levels of success.

Today I deiced to take it further. I added more steps and different compounds, and made a how to. I would like to point out that my how to will not make a factory original finish. My guess is to attain that level of refinishing, a good amount of time wet-sanding would have to be done before hand.

Also, use this procedure at your own risk, I am not responsible for anything. I am simply showing a method that worked for me. And keep in mind, if you want the part to look like it just came from the factory, I THINK you will have to do a good amount of wet-sanding to take out any blemishes in the plastic.

To begin with, here is the part I will work on, a Zenki piece.

First, clean it off with a soapy solution(like dishwater soap)

After cleaning, it still looks terrible.

For this write up, I taped off half to show how much of any improvement. This first product I used was polishing compound with an applicator pad

follow the directions on the can.

After jsut this tep I notiec a huge imporvement

Next, I used ScratchX

here are my results after using

Before and after

I was not proactive in taking pics after this, so you will have to use your imagination. I decied I could improve upon what I had done.

First, I used rubbing compound, which is very very strong. I was dismayed at first, for after i rubbed the compound off, it looked liked a step back.

I then re-did my previous steps of polishing compound and Scratch X. I noticed after doing that, the plastic shine was much deeper!

I finished up wiht a coat of wax, which really improved the appearance.

My poor car's paint, why did someone rattle can it white? I would have been fine with the stock baby blue

And here is a lineup of the products I used. Also note, the driver side eyelid only has polishing compound applied to it, the passenger had the procedure I described above(the driver side had also been outside in the rain, keep in mind) I still noticed a much deeper shine, and I am pleased with the results. I'll update this thread with any other parts I do or re-do.

Sad :drink:
Back to top Go down
SidewaysEightSix

Car : 86' AE86/84' AE86/85' AE86/81' KP61/09' Scion xB

PostSubject: Re: How To: Bring back the shine in plastic exterior trim parts   Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:36 pm

wet sand would make them really look great.

also to add on this, for bumpers and textured black plastic pieces... Meguire's Back To Black works very well.
Back to top Go down
BlackStar

PostSubject: Re: How To: Bring back the shine in plastic exterior trim parts   Sat Dec 15, 2012 9:48 pm

SidewaysEightSix wrote:

also to add on this, for bumpers and textured black plastic pieces... Meguire's Back To Black works very well.

I agree, wetsanding would make it look factory. That is good to know about back to black, I was just going to wetsand and spray the bumpers flat black with bumper paint.
Back to top Go down
suprastarr

Car : 85 corolla

PostSubject: Re: How To: Bring back the shine in plastic exterior trim parts   Sat Dec 15, 2012 11:38 pm

BlackStar wrote:
SidewaysEightSix wrote:

I agree, wetsanding would make it look factory. That is good to know about back to black, I was just going to wetsand and spray the bumpers flat black with bumper paint.

i used plastic fusion spray paint around my bumpers and it came out good i have pics of it im my build thread and great job on this man!
Back to top Go down
http://tristateimports.freeforums.org
yellowsnow4free

PostSubject: Re: How To: Bring back the shine in plastic exterior trim parts   Sun Dec 23, 2012 2:38 am

If I need to remove the part, I'd probably just repaint it Razz

That being said, the results in this write-up were pretty impressive; I'm definitely going to give it a shot on my AE86's eyelids (gonna tape off the bucket and do it on the car though Razz)

Thanks for the write-up! Smile
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How To: Bring back the shine in plastic exterior trim parts   

Back to top Go down

How To: Bring back the shine in plastic exterior trim parts
View previous topic View next topic Back to top 
Page 1 of 1