4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
mhtwin987

Car : 1986 Toyota Corolla (purchase soon)

BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR Empty
PostSubject: BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR   BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR EmptyFri Feb 24, 2012 8:50 am

Hi everyone,

Brand new to site and wanting to buy an '86 Corolla 4 dr with the 4AC engine. This is the one with a trunk and not hatchback.

Since I'm new to this type of car, I'm just looking for those things that are particular to the this family of car and engine. For instance, it's a known fact that the pcv system on a Volvo 850 clogs up and has to be cleaned/replaced regularly. So when buying I would ask when the pcv system was cleaned last. I'm into Volvos as well. This may seem mickey mouse to some and I apologize for that in advance. I'm trying to avoid wasting your time and mine by getting car buying basics. I'm looking for the detailed known problems/things to look for with these cars/engines.

The car I'm considering buying has 126,XXX miles, 5 speed and looks to be in excellent condition inside and out.
I have only seen it in pictures so that's what I'm going on. I'm gathering info before I go look at the car. Their rock bottom cash price is $2200. I can't get pics since the web page won't allow copying.

Thanks in advance for any info.

Mike

Back to top Go down
jinsoku

jinsoku

Car : ferrari

PostSubject: Re: BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR   BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR EmptyTue Feb 28, 2012 4:41 pm

4ac's are pretty bulletproof....

no real common quirk about them just are and lack of care that get to them, issues can range from water pump to rod knock...

i've owned 2 4ac's with high miles..
one with 270k that ran like a champ and had almost 40mpg
one with 320k that had a little valve tik but still ran great and got about 30mpg

then last summer i got a head from a 4ac at the yard with 28k and the valve stem seals were shot!!

sooo...

just do an overall check....
-any smoke?
-engine temps good?
-exhaust smell like antifreeze?
-crazy tapping sound from valve cover?
-does it rev smooth?
-accelerate good from a stop?
-oil pressure good?
-how does the antifreeze look?

ETC!!!!!!

try to bring the price down to 2k.....
Back to top Go down
overdrive418

overdrive418

Car : 86 AE86 SR5 RWD

PostSubject: Re: BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR   BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 12:41 pm

I'd pay $2.2 for a damn near excellent stock car...which, good luck finding that!
If he's dead set on that price he better have a pristine service history, title, and full tank of gas!

Anywho, some issues I've encountered exterior wise is rust, and lots of it. Seems the wheelwells and footboards love the stuff so don't be afraid to poke around those ares with a screwdriver or key.
Check the frame (running board area) for kinks. check that all the body panels fit and the numbers on the driver door and engine match the badge on the firewall.

Also check the trunk, pull the carpet and spare to check for rust/holes there.
Back to top Go down
jinsoku

jinsoku

Car : ferrari

PostSubject: Re: BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR   BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR EmptyWed Feb 29, 2012 2:33 pm

^^oh yea, forgot about that!!!

common rust places...

fender trim area and lower fender by the door, on the windshield by the VIN,battery tray, edges around moonroof panel, rear shock towers, behind the rear bumper and around the tail lights(the gasket tears apart, very common).. those are the usual places...
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR   BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR Empty

Back to top Go down

BRAND NEW TO SITE, WANT TO BUY '86 COROLLA 4 DR
Page 1 of 1