4AC Powered
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Forum for owners of vehicles powered by the Toyota 4AC or related engines

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???

Go down 
+3
DjSpecter
NotanAE86
PAguy
7 posters
AuthorMessage
PAguy

PAguy

Car : 1984 SR5 RWD 5 speed

Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? Empty
PostSubject: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 11:04 am

I've spent the last hour trying to loosen the top screw holding on the distributor cap.
I've tried philips and plain screwdrivers, sockets, wrenches. This can't be rocket science. What's the secret?

Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? Dissy1

Is the bottom screw worse?
Back to top Go down
NotanAE86

Car : 83 2 door sedan

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySat Nov 06, 2010 2:07 pm

I use a 1/4"drive 8mm socket on a swivel. with an extension.

whoever originally put it on probably put it on too tight.

I have had to putt the dizzy before to get the cap screws out. (which required cutting the screws)
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 1:12 am

Step 1..Remove Hood

Step 2..Apply vise-grips to screw

Step 3..Lightly or medium tap vise-grips with hammer.

Installation should be a snap now but dont over tighten screw.
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

Car : 1984 Toyota Corolla Sport, 1989 Ford Bronco, 1968 F250

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 3:37 pm

LOL. Removing the hood seems a little excessive Razz I would stick to just small vise grips and hope for the best... I think on that one I had a deep 8mm that fit it just perfect.
Back to top Go down
http://www.redlinedaily.com
PAguy

PAguy

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySun Nov 07, 2010 6:59 pm

Yeah, maybe needle nosed vice grips could do the trick.
I don't have clearance for sockets on mine. Tomorrow...
Back to top Go down
DjSpecter

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 1:45 am

Only reason I remove my hood is cause I have a hood clerance prolbem with getting work done close to the rear of the engine...So I try to remove what I can to get the job done and out of the way.
Back to top Go down
steamjam

steamjam

Car : 1980 Corolla, and a bunch of 4AC parts..

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 10:01 am

I just use an 1/4 inch 8mm shallow socket and a wobble extension.

The wobble extension allows up to about 18 degrees of bend. just enough to get to that bolt.
Back to top Go down
Lawnie420

Lawnie420

Car : 1984 ae86 zenki sr5 coupe 4ac

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyMon Nov 08, 2010 12:32 pm

steamjam wrote:
I just use an 1/4 inch 8mm shallow socket and a wobble extension.

The wobble extension allows up to about 18 degrees of bend. just enough to get to that bolt.
thats what i did at least on my previous rolla
Back to top Go down
Http://juggaloclownz.the-up.com
EricsFreeAE86

EricsFreeAE86

Car : 93 BMW 318is

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyWed Nov 10, 2010 5:49 pm

I used a stubby 8mm box-end wrench to break mine loose. Only one bolt to pull the whole distributor out of the head if you have to.
Back to top Go down
PAguy

PAguy

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 4:25 pm

Turns out the round nut insert in the cap side came loose, making a bad job worse. Not sure what they had in mind Suspect , I couldn't locate anyone with a socket thin-walled enough to go on this bolt, even if it would have worked. I think I'll run a long bolt and square nut backwards so the cap prevents the square nut from turning and I loosen it from the backside.
Two & a half hours later, I finally was able to disintegrate the cap (not what I was trying to do). And shattered the igniter cover in the process. Are those still available anywhere? Expect I can go without it for a while.
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 4:47 pm

bleh... that sucks. You may want to try Allen bolts when you replace the cap. Something like this:

http://littlemachineshop.com/Products/Images/480/480.1527.jpg

Honestly, you may need to find a donor distributor depending on what broke.
Back to top Go down
PAguy

PAguy

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 6:07 pm

Well, wrong name. The coil cover, not igniter cover, is what I broke when I forced off the cap. And all the electrical checks out OK inside the distributor. Running a bolt backwards (there is no more threaded receiver), now it's easy to get inside whenever I need to.
So with new rotor, plugs, cap and backwards bolt firmly in place, it now runs exactly like it used to - perfectly except it won't start unless I push start it. Once it's over 800-1000 rpm, it is flawless. Back to the drawing board. :/
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 7:08 pm

was it running like that before?
Back to top Go down
steamjam

steamjam

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 7:26 pm

PAguy wrote:
Well, wrong name. The coil cover, not igniter cover, is what I broke when I forced off the cap. And all the electrical checks out OK inside the distributor. Running a bolt backwards (there is no more threaded receiver), now it's easy to get inside whenever I need to.
So with new rotor, plugs, cap and backwards bolt firmly in place, it now runs exactly like it used to - perfectly except it won't start unless I push start it. Once it's over 800-1000 rpm, it is flawless. Back to the drawing board. :/

Wont run unless you push start it? as in the Starter wont work, and you haveto bump start it, or the starter does work, just wont start the car unless you push start it?

Back to top Go down
PAguy

PAguy

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 9:36 pm

steamjam wrote:
PAguy wrote:

Wont run unless you push start it? as in the Starter wont work, and you haveto bump start it, or the starter does work, just wont start the car unless you push start it?

Yeah, I posted a couple of times on it. Starter cranks and cranks, no sputter, no start.
Likewise, if I try to clutch hold on a hill it dies. Above about 1000 runs flawless always, great fuel economy, no smoke, no rough. Going to see if I've got spark while someone else cranks it...
Back to top Go down
steamjam

steamjam

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptyFri Nov 12, 2010 9:59 pm

Apply 12V to the idle solenoid and see if you hear a "click"
Back to top Go down
PAguy

PAguy

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 10:22 am

Solenoids both work, but I figured I would check the O-rings anyway. They're fine too. Strangely, my accelerator pump clip and spring were totally missing. I replaced those (from my parts carbie). I was really pumped, thinking problem solved. But not. Same old story Sad
Back to top Go down
steamjam

steamjam

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 12:41 pm

So the central problem is the car won't idle? IE you let go of the gas pedal and the car stalls? So in order to keep the car running at stop lights you haveto keep your foot on the gas and keep it above 1000 rpms?
Back to top Go down
PAguy

PAguy

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 1:28 pm

I bumped up idle to 1200 so it doesn't usually stall. And even at 800 it usually was OK, but below 500-600 it's gone. Getting it started at the bottom of a hill or in traffic is the real bummer.
Back to top Go down
steamjam

steamjam

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 3:01 pm

PAguy wrote:
I bumped up idle to 1200 so it doesn't usually stall. And even at 800 it usually was OK, but below 500-600 it's gone. Getting it started at the bottom of a hill or in traffic is the real bummer.

Oh.. well about 750rpm is normal for idle.
Back to top Go down
Glock30

Glock30

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 7:26 pm

steamjam wrote:
Oh.. well about 750rpm is normal for idle.

IT all depends. If you have no ac or ps, I remember it being 600
Back to top Go down
PAguy

PAguy

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? EmptySat Nov 13, 2010 8:08 pm

I have AC and power assist, but I like low idle and would put it at 600 if it was running right. Anyhow, here's the coil cover:
Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? IIA_Cover
I see my options as
- leave it without one until I can find a replacement
- patch it together and put it back in broken
- don't dare turn on the car until I can replace it
What do you think?

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???   Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing??? Empty

Back to top Go down

Distributor Cap Removal - What am I missing???
Page 1 of 1